The Automobile Club’s Automotive Research Center (ARC) 2012 Green Car Guide highlights statistics and reports about eco-friendly vehicles which includes:
- Data: Consumer-friendly data and real-world evaluations to help car buyers select vehicles that produce fewer emissions and use less fuel.
- Technology: Information about vehicle engine and low-emission technologies currently in use to help car buyers with their purchasing decisions.
- Vehicle selection process: ARC's engineers and technicians evaluate all vehicles included in the Green Car Guide. ARC uses recognized objective tests to evaluate the following qualities: emissions, fuel economy, crashworthiness, braking, acceleration, handling, cargo capacity, ride quality, ease of entry and exit, roominess, maneuverability, and interior noise.
- Scoring: Scores are tabulated for each of the qualities based on a zero to 10-point scale. The highest scoring vehicle receives 10 points, and the lowest scoring vehicle receives zero points. The scores from each test are combined to determine the overall score for each vehicle.
- Automobiles and air pollution: A short briefing on how emissions have been reduced through the years, and its impact on global warming, along with "smog" in the atmosphere. ARC also discusses the types of technology changes that have been implemented to reduce smog.
The Auto Club and ARC hope you find the 2012 Green Car Guide informative and thought provoking. To compare vehicles from previous Green Car Guides, please select a link below.
2011 Model Green Cars
2010 Model Green Cars
2009 Green Car Guide
This website and the content, information, products, and services on or through it (including the Green Car Guide), are provided “as is,” without any warranty of any kind, expressed, implied, or statutory. The Auto Club specifically disclaims any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purposes, and non-infringement.